Recently, a client of mine experienced a couple of weird things when we started to configure another Dynamics GP company for them with Canadian Payroll and Project Accounting in action. One of them is definitely something to look out for if you use the Canadian Payroll import processes; the second is more of a head-scratcher type of error where you don’t know what the real problem is.
I call these things “gotchas” – I’m not sure that translates into all languages but generally means to me at least, something that “GOT” me, that I wasn’t expecting or didn’t think to look out for.
Continue reading “Some Canadian Payroll & Project Accounting gotchas!”
Today I have 2 issues to write about relating specifically to Canadian Payroll in Dynamics GP; things that a couple of my clients have recently run into that are fairly common and easy fixes.
Issue #1 is regarding stuck batches and the message “The batch is currently in use – Please wait until the other user is finished”.
Issue #2 is regarding permissions during the Generate Cheques routine and the message “There is an error in the Transmission Header – Incorrect Length”.
Continue reading “Canadian Payroll issues and fixes”
A recent scenario at a client got me to thinking about security – or lack thereof – that exists at some clients for various reasons as well as the flip-side of ridiculous security that was going too far the other way.
Continue reading “How secure are your passwords?”
It must be bug month for me, as I have another issue. One is reported as a bug – kind of – and the other, reading between the lines, will not be considered a bug when all is said and done.
Continue reading “Bug month! Issues with Project Accounting employee vendors & EFT”
I’m not sure why, but I always seem to find the really obscure bugs in GP, the ones that really don’t affect many others. I guess it’s called a gift. 🙂
Today, I found another one that affects GP10 (although apparently has been resolved – I can’t verify that yet) and a slight variation of the same for GP2010.
Continue reading “Excel Report Builder – bug in SQL views created”
What usually is a typical service pack install client visit started off on the wrong foot. I am installing SP2 for GP2010 plus related hotfixes for a client, and the last time I was here was in January for the year end tax updates. While I was doing my usual preparation, before I even started the process of installing anything, users started reporting warning messages keeping them out of GP.
Continue reading “Client Updates & Archiving old service packs”
I write this with a little embarrassment at the solution to a problem I had. Earlier this week I renamed a server I’m using for GP2010 to prepare for a new network and improve my network naming conventions. I’ve changed server names before at clients and the steps and places you need to make updates are pretty straight forward, at least for vanilla GP. There are other complications when you get into web services and other things where the configuration is not strictly within the application.
Continue reading “Fun with changing a server name!”
At long last I’m back, and aim to get back to regular weekly (if not more frequent) blogging!
First topic, last week I installed GP2010 SP2 (aka R2) at a client site and all was fine. That is, until I was doing some unrelated work in Report Writer, and was getting an error message when coming back into Dynamics GP.
I had some trouble finding this specific error but did find a post on the partner technical forums with the same problem, from a couple of months ago, that had gone dormant. I updated the post with my information, adding to the original poster’s info, and it turns out it is indeed a bug.
Continue reading “I’m back with a bug!”
I have known about the Support Debugging Tool for a while but have never had an occasion to install and use it at a client location.
I took advantage of a recent client upgrade from GP9 to GP2010 to install it on all of the workstations while we rolled out GP2010. It has already paid dividends!
Continue reading “The Support Debugging Tool is my new best friend”
I ran into a difficult situation at a client where we were unable to edit (add new features) to GP2010, unable to uninstall or repair GP2010 and unable to launch GP2010 because of dictionary version mismatches. If you ever have issues finding the references in the registry to troubleshoot installations I hope this may help, that is where I ended up in my quest.
Continue reading “Issues with GP2010 and uninstalling”