A recent scenario at a client got me to thinking about security – or lack thereof – that exists at some clients for various reasons as well as the flip-side of ridiculous security that was going too far the other way.
Yesterday I went golfing, and it was the first day that really had that “autumn turning to winter” feel about it. It was about 8 degrees Celsius when I teed off, and yes, I froze my backside off in the process. But the sun came out and gradually I only needed 3 layers to keep warm. ; ) (Such is life in Canada when you want to golf in October!)
October 1st also is a new season business-wise: the new Microsoft partner requirements officially begin. For my firm, that means I officially do not meet the requirements to be a reseller anymore. This isn’t new, it hasn’t “crept up” or caught me off-guard… no, partners have been well aware of the changes for many months now.
I am working on an upgrade right now with a client and have a quick tip to share, that may save a little bit of time in your testing, depending on how many company databases you have.
Continue reading “Quick Comparison Report Testing Tip”
It must be bug month for me, as I have another issue. One is reported as a bug – kind of – and the other, reading between the lines, will not be considered a bug when all is said and done.
A client of mine had a great question for me last week on the ROE (Record of Employment) form that I couldn’t answer off the top of my head. I took the opportunity to research and test to answer the question and figured it is not an uncommon question, so I may as well share the info.
Before I begin, I am not a payroll guru, I simply understand how the payroll modules work in Dynamics GP. This is not meant to be a “how to complete your ROE” form article. I worked for a few years with an actual payroll guru, who in her own words, could make Canadian Payroll sing! (RW, you know who you are!)
I’m not sure why, but I always seem to find the really obscure bugs in GP, the ones that really don’t affect many others. I guess it’s called a gift. 🙂
Today, I found another one that affects GP10 (although apparently has been resolved – I can’t verify that yet) and a slight variation of the same for GP2010.
A very short off-topic article. When I first started blogging, I thought weekly posts was a good goal, and it seemed pretty easy to keep up with. I had a long list of things I wanted to talk about at some point, no shortage of ideas! I was set!
All was good until I went to the Tech Conference in Fargo in March… then I started writing a blog each day about my experiences. So much information to talk about, so little time! Upon returning home I had so many ideas I didn’t know where to start, and didn’t write much at all. And then time has quietly slipped by…
What usually is a typical service pack install client visit started off on the wrong foot. I am installing SP2 for GP2010 plus related hotfixes for a client, and the last time I was here was in January for the year end tax updates. While I was doing my usual preparation, before I even started the process of installing anything, users started reporting warning messages keeping them out of GP.
I write this with a little embarrassment at the solution to a problem I had. Earlier this week I renamed a server I’m using for GP2010 to prepare for a new network and improve my network naming conventions. I’ve changed server names before at clients and the steps and places you need to make updates are pretty straight forward, at least for vanilla GP. There are other complications when you get into web services and other things where the configuration is not strictly within the application.
At long last I’m back, and aim to get back to regular weekly (if not more frequent) blogging!
First topic, last week I installed GP2010 SP2 (aka R2) at a client site and all was fine. That is, until I was doing some unrelated work in Report Writer, and was getting an error message when coming back into Dynamics GP.
I had some trouble finding this specific error but did find a post on the partner technical forums with the same problem, from a couple of months ago, that had gone dormant. I updated the post with my information, adding to the original poster’s info, and it turns out it is indeed a bug.