I lost an evening that I’ll never get back over something so stupid I wish I had just stopped to think about this issue a little more.
The situation was this: I just upgraded a client from GP 2010 to GP 2015. I didn’t upgrade the test companies, because it’s a waste of time right? So I finish the upgrade and proceed to create new test companies and take fresh backups of the new production companies and restore to the test companies.
Continue reading “Restore issue on GP 2015 drove me nuts!”
This is officially the last post, for the foreseeable future, on my experiences with Azure. There isn’t a ton of meat in this one, as it’s more of a “what’s happened since the last post” type of post.
Continue reading “Dynamics GP on Microsoft Azure – Wrap-Up”
Recently I’ve been playing with Microsoft Azure and installing Dynamics GP 2015 on Azure, upgrading my GP 2010 test environment etc.
One of the things I needed to try to get working was FRx. I haven’t gotten to the point of adding Active Directory on Azure yet, therefore I don’t have a domain and can’t install Management Reporter. Same. Old. Problem. I hate that MR requires a domain, it really limits test and demo capabilities in my opinion… but I won’t rant on that right now!
Continue reading “FRx with Dynamics GP 2015”
Pretty soon I’ll have to be more creative with the blog post titles! Part 193 …. geez.
More stuff I’m learning: it’s way easier to install and configure Active Directory Domain Services on Azure than installing SQL Server 2014 fresh on a Windows-only VM. Seriously… I’m on my 3rd attempt to install SQL Server!
If you’ve read my last post, part of the What’s Next was creating a standard VM, installing A/D on it and installing SQL Server on it. This is not and never will be anything close to a production machine, so the significant faux-pas of having SQL Server on a Domain Controller seems like an acceptable risk to me. Since I have test & development licenses, instead of paying by the minute for the license, I figured I should be able to start with a standard Windows O/S VM on Azure and go from there.
Continue reading “Dynamics GP on Microsoft Azure – Part 6”
One month has been completed, and my Azure experience cost me $18.80 for a month. If you’ve been following this series so far, you’ll know by now that I haven’t left the machine running outside of when I am actually using it yet… hence the extremely low cost to date. And of course, it didn’t *actually* cost me anything because I was using my MPN credits.
Continue reading “Dynamics GP on Microsoft Azure – Part 5”
This post is a continuation of my little series of learning about Azure. Part 1 is here, Part 2 is here and Part 3 is here. In this post, I’m going to correct a couple of things I’ve written in the previous posts, update the costs of running this so far, and add a few more general observations.
Continue reading “Dynamics GP on Microsoft Azure – Part 4”
Day 3 of using Microsoft Azure and things are becoming a little more clear. I haven’t *done* much with actually using apps on the VM yet, more messing around with installs and configuration. This is a continuation of my first two posts on learning Azure in the context of upgrading to GP2015 for testing. Part 1 is here and Part 2 is here.
Continue reading “Dynamics GP on Microsoft Azure – Part 3”
As I sat up til nearly 1:00am last night (er, this morning) playing with the new Azure VM, I was thinking “this is going SO smoothly!”. I should have known it wasn’t going to be that easy. 🙂
See yesterday’s “Part 1” post for the introduction to this journey I’m on, which covers why I’m doing this, going from a new subscription to provisioning a SQL server VM. At the end of yesterday’s post, I stopped at “I’ve provisioned my VM”. After that I tried some things, and ran into a problem.
Continue reading “Dynamics GP on Microsoft Azure – Part 2”
I feel that I’m a bit behind the curve… I haven’t installed GP 2015 in my environment yet, I haven’t tried anything on Microsoft Azure yet, and I figure it is about time I started to look at both.
Continue reading “Dynamics GP on Microsoft Azure – Part 1”
I’m continuing to learn more about websites, WordPress ins & outs, and css… the hard way!
Last year I switched my website from Expression Engine to WordPress… for the most part to be on a platform that is more mainstream, ideally easier to get support on, and hopefully a platform that I could do more things myself with.
All was good! I liked the re-design, and all seemed great… until I tried to post articles with media attached (screenshots etc.). Permissions errors out the wazoo… it was very frustrating but a busy time for me with other things, and I ignored it for months.
Continue reading “Learning new things the hard way”