This is a short post… a bizarre issue that I can’t find an answer to.
A client has a bunch of inactive GL accounts and for a project, wants to re-active them to do some re-allocations and then inactive them again. Simple right?
I set up a simple Integration Manager integration for them, and set the “Inactive” field to “Use Input”. In other words, let the user decide if they are inactivating or re-activating the accounts. Better than changing the integration, right?
Seemed like a good idea at the time. So we set the field to Use Input and then they ran it, it gives them a drop down list, and they chose False, as in “re-activate”. They run the integration and start getting a bunch of errors “This account has a current balance”. Hmmm. That should not matter if you are “activating” so I didn’t understand the message.
They spot checked the GL accounts on the error log + the accounts not on the error log. Everything is still inactive, except the ones on the error log, because they were never inactive as they had a current balance.
OK. Well, against all logic, I suggested running it again but choosing TRUE instead of FALSE. The field is Inactive so TRUE should ‘inactivate’ it, but stranger things have happened, and it’s worth trying. I thought there is a chance that it is working backwards for some reason.
Same issue. Huh.
Well… let’s get rid of the Use Input and put it back to Use Constant and set it to False. Run the integration, it works like a charm.
So, in this bizarro world, Use Input apparently ignores whatever the user selects in the drop down list and runs the integration as “Inactive = True”. Using a constant works.
Go figure! Just when you think you’ve seen everything, something new and strange pops up!
(for reference, the client is using GP 2010, and Integration Manager 11).
(originally posted on www.kuntzconsulting.ca, and migrated to this site in October 2017)